This is our ninth year of celebrating Advent, and it is so wonderful to reach a point where Advent and our traditions feel like home. I usually add one or two new things each year to try in our family, but this year we did not add anything new. It is a great comfort to see how this steady growth of thoughtful traditions has enriched our family life over the years, and has created many warm and wonderful memories.
Some of our traditions include:
- Homemade beeswax Advent Candles
- Making chocolates for the Feast of St. Nicholas
- Decorating the house with lights on the Feast of St. Lucia
- Bringing down the great big box of Christmas books to read and enjoy during Advent and Christmas
- The Jesse Tree
- Handel's Messiah, in small sections using Cindy's guide
- Praying and singing to mark the O Antiphons
- The St. Andrew Christmas Anticipation Prayer (Thank you, Celeste, for your lovely prayer card)
- Mexican hot chocolate on (or near *ahem*) on the Feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe
I hope you and your family are having a lovely Advent!