Saturday, February 15, 2014

Nature Walk: Mosses and Lichens

I will be the first to admit that I have no idea what I'm looking at when I observe these lovely green mosses/lichens/whatever they are growing on the rocks and trees around me.  But I love how beautiful they are after a good rain, and I'm amazed by how they lie dormant through the hot dry summers only to unfold their delicate ferny tendrils when exposed to the winter rains.  












This creek is less than a half mile walk from our house.  Isn't it lovely?





 If you look closely, you can see pine needles hung like tinsel from the trees.



 Isn't it gorgeous?  We are so thankful to get to live here!

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful--the photos and the area! What a gorgeous creekside to explore. :) Even though we're suburban, "our creek" is only about three miles away and I am *so* happy it's just that five minute drive because it is close enough that we can visit it often and really get to know it. Less than a half mile walk? So nice.

    And yes, after the last couple weeks, I really have a new appreciation for lichen and moss! LOL Looking forward to learning more. (I know next to nothing about it either! But it sure is pretty. ;))

    ReplyDelete
  2. This trail looks so similar to the one I blogged about last week, but it must be at least a bit more south...I was amazed at the lushness in this drought!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It all looks so lovely and warm. I explored creeks when I was growing up in Ohio and wish my children had one to call their own - a nature notebook boon!

    Comfort and joy,
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete